Government & policy

Zero to $100 million: Growth tips from the trenches

October 8, 2009: 7:50 PM ET

Finding new clients requires new skills. Here's how to expand beyond your comfort zones.

From OLG
We have a small business with a number of federal government contracts. We would like to expand to the commercial arena, but have not been able to find a service or method that would provide market differentiation (other than offering lower costs than our bigger and better-known competitors). Would acquiring a firm offering a compatible "niche" be the best move for expansion? In terms of growing federal and perhaps state government sales, would hiring a "consultant" be wise? I am interested in hearing from business owners who have tried both methods. Thanks!

Posted in:
  • Going global: How your biz can make the leap

    Ready to expand overseas? Here's a guide to the resources that can help you get started.

    Peter Van Wolvelaerd, Scottsdale
    My company has been doing business with the U.S. government, and we have been awarded some new business, in no small measure because of our service-disabled veteran-owned status. We have located business opportunities in Europe with the U.S. government and are trying to partner with a European company. Because we don't have MORE

    Mar 25, 2009 10:11 AM ET
  • Enterprise zones yield lucrative tax breaks

    If your business is in a target zone, don't miss out on the benefits.

    Ros Borden, Miami
    My wife and I own a convenience store in a federally designated enterprise zone. We have eight employees and we have owned the store for two years. We are struggling to stay afloat and to hold onto our employees. Can you get us information on how to use this designation to benefit us and our MORE

    Nov 5, 2008 9:35 AM ET
  • Hey LLC, show some ID

    A new business structure sometimes requires a new tax ID.

    Nasser Rentia, Falls Church, Va.
    I am a sole proprietor and am considering forming an LLC. I currently have a tax ID as a sole proprietor. Do I need to get a new tax ID? The IRS requires a new tax ID when forming an S-Corp, but I wasn't clear on their rules for forming an LLC.

    Aug 5, 2008 11:36 AM ET
  • Purchasing federal flood insurance

    Jack Witt, Crivitz, Wis.
    Can I buy federal flood insurance for my business?

    Jul 24, 2008 12:02 PM ET
  • Start bidding for government contracts

    A step-by-step guide to finding government contracts and going for them.

    Brian Hall, Westerville, Ohio
    I'm a veteran and a minority small-business owner. How do I get more information on bidding for government contracts?

    Jul 18, 2008 11:15 AM ET
  • How to write a winning proposal

    Remember, success is in the details when it comes to bids and RFPs.

    Paul Shelton, Tavares, Fla. I need help writing contract proposals and contracts. Any advice or recommendations for software?

    Jul 11, 2008 10:34 AM ET
  • Business or hobby? Deductions differ.

    Toribio is postponing his decision on whether his business qualifies as a hobby. Have you recently made a distinction between business and hobby? What did you decide?

    Mar 28, 2008 2:02 PM ET
  • Beyond the stimulus: Lobbying for biz issues

    George Donker checked in with Ask FSB for tips on making his voice heard in DC. Do you participate in any lobbying efforts? Tell us about it.

    Feb 12, 2008 9:56 AM ET
  • When do trademarks expire?

    Ann Fisher tells a reader how to obtain a trademark in a May 8 Ask FSB column. Have you trademarked an idea? Did you have an idea that was stolen before you were able to trademark it? Post your thoughts.

    May 7, 2007 5:15 PM ET
Search This Column
View all entries from this: Week, Month
Powered by VIP.